The Castle of Verrazzano is located on a hilltop in the Chianti Classico area, the first grape growing and wine producing area in the world to be determined by an official proclamation, made by the grand Duke Cosimo III de' Medici in 1716.
Its high position, over the Greve valley, was once of strategic-military importance; today it is possible to easily overlook the vineyards which fan out across the slopes to the edges of the wood further down the valley.
The castle was an etruscan then a roman settlement before becoming the property of the Verrazzano family in the VIIth century. There is a great tradition of winemaking here: the "vineyards situated in Verrazzano" are mentioned in a manuscript which dates back to 1150 and is preserved at the abbey of Passignano (wrongly reported as "1170").
The castle is known for being the birthplace of the family Verrazzano to which the Navigator Giovanni belonged. The descent of Verrazzano became extinct in 1819. After having undergone changing fortunes over the centuries, the castle has now rediscovered its ancient splendour thanks to the patient work of Cavalier Luigi Cappellini with the support of the Superintendence of Cultural Heritage in Florence. Nowadays the Castle belongs to Cappellini family.