The Castle of Verrazzano is located in Greve in Chianti, in the heart of the Chianti Classico area, between Florence and Siena.
Initially the Castle was an Etruscan then a Roman settlement and it has remained within its boundaries for over 1000 years: it has represented a firm and safe post in an area interested for many centuries by political and dynastic conflicts.
There is a great tradition of winemaking here: the “vineyards situated in Verrazzano” are mentioned in a manuscript which dates back to 1150 and is preserved at the abbey of Passignano (wrongly reported as “1170”).
The Castle became the property of the Verrazzano family in the VII century. Giovanni da Verrazzano, the navigator and discoverer of the bay of New York and of the majority of the East coast of nowadays U.S. was born here in 1485. The famous bridge in New York between Brooklyn and Staten Island was named after him in 1964.
The important Florentine family of Ridolfi succeeded to the Verrazzanos after the death of the last descendant, in 1819. In the 20’ of 1900 Luigi Ridolfi promoted the building of the Football Stadium in Florence and in 1926 he founded the Fiorentina, the football team of the city of Florence. Ridolfi was the President of the Athletic Association and in 1936 he allowed the National Athletic team to train at Verrazzano for the Olympic Games.
1958 the Cappellini family took over the Castle on the road of decadence and brought it back it to its former glory by restoring the villa and rebuilding the agricultural tissue and the vineyards, according to an ancient model, respecting the historical and architectonic features of the place.
Cavalier Cappellini understood since the beginning the importance of the history and the beauty of the Chianti area for a better promotion of farming productions. He laid the foundations for that awareness that inspired the institution of the Agritourism practice.
His son Luigi Giovanni, grown up at Verrazzano, has always supported him in the Company activities, sensing his passion and following the Company on aboard markets since his youth.
Expert in international oenology, passionate of organic farming and, generally, of sustainability, Luigi Giovanni managed to hand over his experience in the Company, leading it towards a new direction that conjugates the enhancement of tradition with the attention to modernity.
He gave a new impulse to the Agritourism, promoting international events that also contributed to the company business developing by time, but preserving the strong historical identity as a competitive element.
The emblem of the new business idea has been the creation of the winebar “Spumantino Verrazzano” that faces Ponte Vecchio, in the heart of Florence. Here traditional and contemporary elements are both present. Spumantino added to the other well-known wine bar “Cantinetta dei Verrazzano”.
Luigi Giovanni is supported by his wife Silvia, graduated in Art History, his trusty collaborator together with their daughters, Maria Chiara e Maria Sole, and with his very dynamic ninety mother, Clara.